Oh Easter! A time for marshmallow bunnies, Cadbury eggs, chocolate eggs, and my newest favorite treat: Candy-coated chicks!
To make these easy, and not to mention, tasty little chicks, all you need are a few simple ingredients:
- Pretzels (any size will do)
- Candy Wafers, also called Candy Coating
- Wax paper
- Black frosting/icing/gel
- Orange frosting/icing/gel
1. Line a tray with wax paper. Arrange the pretzels on the sheet. It’s easier to set them up beforehand, so you aren’t having to reach into the bag every two seconds.
2. Fill a microwave-safe container with candy wafers, about halfway. Make sure to melt them according to the package directions. For mine, I put them in for 30 seconds at medium heat, then in 15-second increments at low heat. After each increment, I mixed the candy around with a spoon until it had a smooth frosting-like consistency.
2. Take spoonfuls of the candy and pour into the pretzels. You can smooth the candy out with the back of the spoon or with a toothpick.
3. Wait about 10-15 minutes for the candy coating to harden in the pretzels.
4. Now it’s time to decorate the chick face! Use the black frosting to make little eyes, and the orange icing to make the little beaks. (Note: You can also use orange chocolate-covered sunflower seeds, but I couldn’t’ find them at the store. Just make sure to stick the seeds in before the candy coating sets)
4. Let harden for up to an hour. I found the orange gel took forever to dry, so may try frosting next time. Still, the orange makes it look so cute!