What do a bike wheel, a starfish, and a cake have in common? They all have a special kind of symmetry – a symmetry in circles!
- 5 - 8
- Est. Time:
How we did it:
- coffee filters
- washable markers
- spray bottle
- paper towels
1. Cover your work surface with a paper towel. Place the coffee filter on top and fold it in half.
2. Fold it in half two more times. It should look like an ice cream cone when you're done.
3. Spray the front and back of the coffee filter a few times. Both sides should feel damp.
4. Use markers to create a dot pattern on the coffee filter. Count to three as you make each dot. This will let the color soak all the way through the filter. (Try making dots in different patterns, like rows, arrows, and other shapes!)
5. Flip it over. You should see the same pattern as on the front, but paler. Go over the dots again on the back to make them darker.
6. Open the coffee filter to reveal the pattern. Let your design dry for about 15 minutes. When it's dry, hang up your starburst art!