- Assemble a pulley-powered crane that can spin around, raise its arm, and lift loads. Then swap pulleys in and out to see first-hand how mechanical advantage makes it easier to lift things.
- Engineer a drip irrigation system and sprout a love of botany and physics! Construct the water tower and trellis, set up the planter pots, then grow your own bean, wheatgrass, and watermelon plants. Explore the science of irrigation and the different ways that farmers put water to work (from flood irrigation to spray irrigation to computer-controlled farming!).
- Explore the science of thermochromism — with squishy slime that shifts color when it changes temperature!
- Sew up a circuit using flexible conductive thread, then craft a unicorn keychain whose horn lights up when you touch its tail to its hoof.
- Construct your own lifting claw and learn how hydraulic systems work. Continue the experimentation with bonus design challenges.
Through Tinker Camp, supplement & extend Hydraulic Claw with FREE content, video and additional DIY activities.
Find out more about Tinker Camp and all the sessions of Camp KiwiCo here!
Camp KiwiCo is open, and will be accessible all summer long. Crates can be purchased individually or you can buy a whole pack for the whole session.
- Use shibori techniques to create a unique messenger bag with beautiful indigo patterns! Then sculpt and decorate an animal-shaped pencil holder, complete with stenciled pencils and animal pencil-toppers. Finish off by testing your tape-resist technique, and building a desktop corkboard.
- Shoot an air vortex across the room and experiment with fluid dynamics!
- Produce an oxidation reaction that "eats" up aluminum foil. Test a voltmeter to learn about electric potential, and build a coin battery-powered LED light. Then put everything you learned together to engineer a clock that runs on just saltwater and strips of metal!
Delivery note: Electrochemistry Lab is only eligible for Ground Shipping within the Contiguous United States. This item will ship separately from any other items in your order. Your entire order only qualifies for Standard Shipping (delivered within 3-10 business days).
- Lock down a love of science and engineering, with a mechanical lock box you make yourself! Construct a seriously impressive printing press, and experience the science of pressure hands-on! Then build a pair of stereo headphones that turns electrical energy into stunning stereo sound!
- Have a ball with an indoor golf set you build yourself — complete with an adjustable putter and a set of targets. Learn to tune your instrument and crank out some classic songs. Build a linkage-powered trashketball game, then harness the power of parabolas to aim, shoot, and score with science. Then build a pintastic pinball machine and explore physics!