Inspiring Makers and Creatives
Maker Crate is dedicated to the discovery of new art and design tools and the growth of creative confidence to turn artistic visions into design realities.
Whether you're 14 or 104, a first-time crafter or an experienced maker, we've designed each crate to include a chance to experiment with a new technique, draw inspiration from real designs, and take pride in a finished project that's both fun and functional.
Discovery Through Art and Design
Designed by experts,
tested by kids!
Make it yourself!
Create amazing designs that are uniquely you — and useful, too!
Lots of new tools!
All the supplies you need to bring your vision to life
Easy-to-follow instructions and design inspiration
Everything delivered straight to your door!
New Crafts & Techniques
Lifelong skills to help you keep making, designing, and innovating
Make Something Amazing — with Maker Crate
Create a pair of perfect (and practical!) plant hangers. Start by designing a macrame keychain to learn knotting. Then craft two macrame hangers. Finish off by sculpting, decorating, and customizing clay pots for your hangers.
Learn to create textured designs with loops of yarn, then use your textile techniques to craft a cozy, colorful pillow. Along the way, experiment with dimension, negative space, and other visual elements.
Terrazzo Clay Organizers
Discover the tools and techniques of a traditional, mosaic-like art form called terrazzo. Make a terrazzo tray and a set of handcrafted containers with a uniquely dappled — and dapper — look.
Join our Community
Frequently Asked Questions
Maker Crate is dedicated to helping kids (and kids at heart) discover new art and design tools and gain the creative confidence to turn their artistic visions into design realities. From macrame hangers to terrazzo trays, they’ll take pride in making something fun — and functional.
Each crate introduces a new technique, opening the doors for makers to continue creating all by themselves — long after they’ve completed the projects in each crate. Plus, they’ll get a look at the real-world applications and the history behind each art form or design technique.
Maker Crate is designed by our team of in-house experts, which includes former educators and child development professionals.
Additionally, every crate theme is rigorously tested with kids to ensure that projects are engaging, fun and universally appealing, and to ensure that the instructions are clear and easy to understand. We go through this design process every month to ensure that your child has the most innovative projects delivered right to your doorstep.
We offer eight different product lines to suit children and teenagers — and kids-at-heart:
- Panda Crate delivers age-appropriate learning toys, inspiration, and information that support healthy development and lifelong learning for children ages 24 months and younger.
- Koala Crate encourages play-based learning through fun and enriching hands-on activities just right for kids ages 2-4.
- Kiwi Crate was designed specifically for children ages 5-8 and includes science experiments, art activities, imaginative play and more.
- Atlas Crate inspires appreciation for world cultures and encourages kids ages 6-11 to act as global citizens.
- Doodle Crate builds confidence and creativity through art and design projects for kids ages 9-16+.
- Tinker Crate encourages hands on learning and experimentation in science and engineering for kids ages 9-16+.
- Eureka Crate guides budding engineers ages 14-104 to appreciate the science and math principles, along with the design process, of everyday items.
- Maker Crate inspires budding innovators ages 14–104 to explore art and design techniques while handcrafting beautiful items.
We take a lot of care to design our crates in a way that is open-ended so that although children across the age range may have different outcomes, they will all enjoy interacting with the projects and materials. Choose the line that most appropriately fits your child, and remember that you can switch lines at any time.
Subscription crates ship anywhere in the United States, including Hawaii, Alaska, and APO addresses. Shipping is free in the U.S.
We also ship to countries outside the U.S.! Find out about our international shipping options here.
- Yes, Maker Crate makes a wonderful gift! When you purchase you can select that it is a gift and have the opportunity to write a gift message (optional). Additionally, we include a message with the first crate that lets the recipient know they have been gifted a Maker Crate subscription of either 1, 3, 6, or 12 months, so they know how many crates they will be receiving. You can choose to have the first crate sent to your address, so you can present it in person and then have the subsequent crates sent directly to the gift recipient. Of course, you can also choose to have all of the crates sent to the gift recipient. Either way, your gift will be enjoyed for months to come!
- We hate to see you go, but you can cancel a monthly subscription anytime after the first crate ships by using our online "manage subscription" tool. Auto-renewing subscriptions (pay every 3, 6 or 12 months) are only eligible for cancellation after the initial prepaid term has been completed.
Awards and Press
- Parents' Choice Gold Award
- Dr. Toy's 10 Best Creative Products Winner
- Academics' Choice Brain Toy Award Winner
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Best Toy Award Gold Seal
- Dr. Toy's Best Picks Winner
- Purdue University - Promotes Engineering Thinking & Design