Chomping Mechanical Dinosaur Costume
What you get
Get your rawr on — with a big green mechanical dinosaur costume, you build yourself! This costume crate contains everything you need to craft a spiky T. rex head, engineer a fierce felt jaw that snaps shut with the pull of a string, then add a set of matching dino claws to complete the look. Finish off your dino discovery by learning about hinges, rotary motion, and fossil detective work. Ready to dig in?
• Includes everything you need to complete your costume — felt spikes, felt teeth, felt eyebrows, a set of 6 ready-to-wear felt claws (3 for each hand), and more!
• Transform the felt head cutout into a dinosaur head by folding it into shape and fastening it together with brads.
• Use bolts, nuts, and cords to build a simple hinge mechanism and make your dino head really chomp!
• 21-page booklet includes articles about how paleontologists use fossils to figure out what dinosaurs looked like, the science behind your chomping costume, and more!
• Dinosaur head is made of a flexible felt material with an elastic strap so it can comfortably fit kids aged 5 and up.
• Dino head dimensions: approximately 16 x 14 x 9.0 inches (41 x 36 x 23 cm).
From the desk of the product designer:
Behind the design
“No dinosaur costume is complete without snapping jaws! Explore mechanics to bring this <i>T. rex</i> to life.”
By the numbers
Brads needed to construct a 3D dinosaur: 25
Jaw pulley prototypes: 3
Hours spent wearing it around the office: too many
Mar 20 2023
This one was AMAZING!! So much fun to build and play with!
Feb 28 2023
My 4-year-old grandson loved it! He immediately started to make it, with the help of his Dad. They love to do that. They made it in time for him to wear at his birthday party! He's very good at putting things together.
Oct 25 2022
It is an adorable mask. The chomping mouth was a little difficult to work. It was hard to adjust the screws to get it to chomp like in the video. In the end, it was OK because he just left it open.